Schools require all their students whose families
live overseas to have a legal Guardian at all times
during their stay in the UK.
Whilst the school
takes responsibility for your child's welfare during
the school term, there are times during the term and
in particular during the holidays when the school
must be able to hand over full responsibility for
your child to a properly appointed legal Guardian.
It is during these periods when the school is
closed that Guardians takes on this
responsibility by providing a Host Family for your
child to stay with as well as the general welfare of
your child and making any arrangements that may be
Our responsibilities as Guardians
Meeting your child on arrival at the airport, and
making all personal travel arrangements for exeat
weekends, half terms and holidays as well as the
return trip home.
Providing support, help and counseling as well as
taking an active interest in your child's progress
during his stay in the UK.
-In the event of your child staying in England
over the long school holidays, this can also be
Communicate with the school on behalf of the
parents and keep the parents informed of school
- In co-operation with the school, monitor and
supervise the child's progress and assist in the
choice of options within the curriculum.
- Report to the parent the child's progress.
- Attend parent/teacher meetings and school
functions such as speech day, sport's day, plays and
concerts when appropriate.
- Give the child personal and professional
guidance when applying to Universities or Colleges
of Further Education.
- Provide an immediate contact point for the
child, the parent, the host family and the school 24
hours a day.
- Obtain a letter of consent from the parents to
act on behalf of the parent, e.g. permission to sign
a consent form in cases of emergency operations or
- Control all finance on behalf of parents.
- Accommodate or arrange accommodation for the
pupil at half term and those weekends when the
school is closed.
- Ensure that arrangements for children to return
to their home country on holiday and at the end of
term are made, including visa requirements and
transport to and from the Airport.
- Liase with the school in order to make
arrangements for these holidays.
- Identify suitable host families for pupils and
ensure that the child is totally happy with the
family; and make any necessary changes.